Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Real Life Urgency Leads to Eve Bravery

O'Hare Airport, Chicago - This past week has been brutal at work, soaking up almost all of my time.  My time in Eve has been almost non-existent.  The trend continued today as I had to settle an issue and didn't finish until 10:30.  By the time I completed my last second packing (iPad, Kindle and laptop got packed last) it was almost 11:30 and I was being picked up at noon.

This was important, because I needed to set up contact with two R&D agents to produce datacores so I can begin manufacturing my own tech 2 ammo.  I really wanted to get this established before I left for Bulgaria.  A three-week supply would be a nice present to come back home to.  But could I get to stations a total of 17 jumps away, especially with one of the stations in lowsec?  I decided to find out.

Of course, it helped that Wandering Rose flies a Prowler set up for maximum speed and agility.  Sorry, but I'm more that happy to sacrifice cargo space for speed.  In the case of blockade runners, speed saves.  And it is a good thing to, because one of my prospective agents is in Hagilur, and went I jumped in, the Bei-Hagilur gate was camped by a fleet that came up red on the overview.  Six or eight ships, with at least two Drakes.  Not scouting for a fleet, I didn't really take a careful count.  I just scooted away as fast as I could.  As far as I can tell, no one locked me.  I really should have paid more attention to the range they were from the gate.

After docking and making arrangements with the agent, I had about 10 minutes to make a six jump trip.  The gate camp?  I didn't care.  I was in a Prowler, it was lowsec so I didn't have to worry about bubbles, and I had a plane to catch.  Don't fly what you can't afford to lose is a good policy, and I have plenty of Prowler blueprint copies in my inventory.

As it turns out, the gate camp fleet had moved out to 300+ klicks by the time I returned.  I think they were in the process of setting up a trap and I moved through just in time.  They probably weren't going to waste time on me anyway, but you can't rely on that.

The ending is rather anti-climatic.  I finished the trip to the second agent in time so know I will have some nice things to play with when I get home in mid-October.

Fly it like you have a plane to catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment