Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Working Vacation?

Have I mentioned before that I work a lot?  Well, I am going to Fanfest, but my plans changed slightly.  Yes, I still get to take a week-and-a-half off and go to Iceland, but I have to take my work laptop with me.  That means my gaming laptop will stay at home as I am not going to put a computer in my checked luggage.

So what does that mean?  I'll be working sometime during my stay in Reykjavík.  Something is going to go horribly wrong and someone will get on the Bat phone expecting me to fix whatever is wrong.  But with all the drinking that will go on, my response times will suffer.  Luckily the pub crawl and Party at the Top of the World are on Friday and Saturday nights so I shouldn't have to answer issues then.

Needless to say I now have extra incentive to get as much in place to allow people to solve issues on their own.  I have confidence that the people I work with can already handle most of the issues that may occur, but I work on a couple of high-profile projects that people just assume that no one can work on but me.  That's what I get for training both Advanced Troubleshooting and Thinking Outside the Box both to 5.

Another thing that will happen is I need to take some time to arrange my skill queue so I have skills training during the 9 days I plan on being away from home.  Not much of a stretch, really.  I have plenty of practice over the past two years.  But no gaming will occur.  A good thing really as I may never get back to Iceland so I should see everything I can.  So maybe work is a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment